Saturday, September 24, 2005

Don't forget what you've left behind...

Who knew that the Japanese people didn't eat turkey? Anyone? Well, I sure would have liked to know this little bit of trivia before moving all the way here! Now that I've got myself in a country that lacks in the sweet goodness of turkey, I have to resort to my survival skills.

Step #1-Locate turkey
Lauren and I have looked at many grocery stores (in vain, no less) for turkey. We have always come up empty handed. We were getting desperate. This lead us to the foreigners store at Aeon mall. We went there one evening and found this:



As you can see, the can boast "100% White, Lean Turkey". It had to be good, right?
We decided to forget our reservations and preconceived ideas about spam, and just go for it. We both bought a can at 522 yen a piece. (that's like $5.22)

Of course neither of us had any experience with spam, so we had to read the directions.



Seemed easy enough...let's see here--Step #1: Lift and pull



Alright, got it. Dang, this stuff stinks! Ok, now we just squeeze until it pops...



Ok, that's done. Now it's the tricky part-squeeze it and tap it on the bottom so it will come out.



Presto! Oh man, this is so gross. I can't believe we bought this!
This is me when I was grossed out at the sight of the spam falling out of the can.



Ok, now I've got to get a hold of myself. I all I have to do is slice it, because I'm sure not frying this stuff!



There you have it...the adventures of turkey spam. How does it taste you ask? Well, it's not the worst thing I've ever eaten, but I don't plan on buying it again. That should tell you plenty...

3 comments:

greasemonkey1320 said...

I myself being a huge fan of turkey have tried the turkey spam.I must admit though that the only way it is good is if you rinse off the jellied grease and pan fry it over medium-low heat. It goes good with scrambled eggs. Microwaving is just a bad idea. Eating it cold? I think not.

Anonymous said...

you so should have pan-fried it like bacon. thats when it's good. well, good is all relative. that's when it's most edible. :) bobblehead was right...whoever that is! kt

Anonymous said...

why does everyone leave their comment anonymous? grr! I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I learned when I was little (from tasting) if it says SPAM, don't waste your money! Maybe someone should send you one of those famous tyler turkeys for thanksgiving, then freeze it! HMMM...