Friday, September 02, 2005

2 1/2 hours and 6,000 yen later...

This is my account of Tuesday, August 30th.

The day started early. We had to catch the train at 8:16. We were headed to Chiba, so we could get a multiple re-entry stamp for our passport. You know, so I can get back in the country if I leave, like at Christmas. After taking the wrong train (it's ok Liz-really!), we finally made it to the immigration office. We arrived at 9:30. The place was packed.

(also notice how incredibly stained the carpet is...so disgusting)

We went up to the counter and got a number. Lauren was 332 and I was 333.



Current number when we arrived: 313


By now you are probably wondering why we bothered to document this process with pictures. Well, initially we weren't taking pictures, but around 10:13 boredom had set in and and we began taking A LOT of random pictures. For your viewing pleasure, here are some of those pictures.



Obviously this picture was staged, but I assure you that it is an accurate portrayal of how we really felt.


Seriously-we were bored. What else were we supposed to do?


Here is the form for the re-entry stamp. (I have NO idea why we took pictures of this. I'm telling you, that place is like the twilight zone. You can go in, but you never leave--until waiting at least 2 hours.)


Around 10:45 the number jumped from 319 to 326 within a matter of 5 minutes. I ran to get Megan and Liz, because they had been waiting upstairs. I got back and it was still on 326...dang. It changed to 327 around 10:55 (finally)...and then proceeded to stay on 327 until 11:40...ack! (What was really going through my head?--Never pray for patience, never pray for patience...)
At 11:55, it finally changed to 332, Lauren's number. This was when I noticed the sign that said they close from 12:00-13:00 for lunch and you may have to come back after lunch if your number hasn't come up by this time. WHAT?! This had to be a joke. I just knew that Megan and I weren't going to get to do it and we'd have to come back after lunch. (Megan was 334)
Time when Lauren was finished: 11:59
Wait-there is my number. YES! I gave the guy my paperwork and passport.


He told me to wait a minute. Megan was waiting right next to me. They had already begun shutting down the other counters. It wasn't looking good for Megan. The guy gave me my stuff and I said thank you. Megan stepped up, showed him she was the next number and he asked her if she was doing the same thing as Lauren and I had done. She said yes, so this very nice Japanese man did hers too, even though it was after 12:00. Oh man, that was stressful, but it was finally over!

After we left purgatory, err umm, the immigration office, we went to meet Yoko and Daisuke for lunch at the indian restaurant. So good...
Yoko had to go back to work after that, and the rest of us headed to Tokyo for the day. We got to eat turkey at dinner so Lauren and I were happy. Yeah, that's right...they don't have much turkey here. We have to search for it and so far it can only be found at 2 places: Subway and Kua'aina. Kua'aina is so good. I'm going to work on getting one in whatever city I move to next. On the train ride back home that evening, there was a fight between 2 Japanese men. This was the first act of violence I've seen since I've been in Japan. I was so shocked! Daisuke said that was the first time he had ever seen anything like that. Of course, I told him that if he had gone to high school in America, or just hung out at a bar in America, he could see fights anytime he wanted...

Bonus: See if you can find the mistake on this sign.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

swhich?