Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Waco or Bust...and Dallas

Well, I've been a little lazy with my blog this past week. I was told by Katy that I need to blog, so here it is-just for you Kat-y!

Last Thursday, Chelle and I took of for Waco to see Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken in concert. We originally planed on spending a little time in Corsicana with my friend Heather, but she had called that morning and had sick kids, so we decided against stopping there. We did stop for lunch in Corsicana though, but not before going to Collins Street Bakery. (I hope Lindsey and Jenni liked the cookies we brought them.) We got little miniature chocolate pies. Next we had to find something for lunch so we ended up going to Don Jose's. Our waiter was Gere (sp?) and must of liked us, because he gave us free sopapillas...of course they only cost 50 cents anyway. We got to Waco around 3:00. Lindsey had to go to work at 4:00, so we were trying to figure out what to do with our free time in Waco. Lindsey said we could go to the send off for the Baylor girls basketball team at 5:00. She tried to make it sound really appealing by telling us about the free food. Now I know I'm not in college anymore, but I do still appreciate free food, however, since we had just eaten, we weren't looking for any food at the moment. We decided we'd just drive around Waco and look for something to do. Yeah, that was a bad idea. We had finally decided we would go to the Dr. Pepper Museum, but when we got there, it was closed. We talked about what else to do, and we both realized we wanted to get our hair cut. We had passed a place when we were driving around, so we decided to go see if they took walk-ins. They only had time for one of us, but the guy in there said his sister had a salon down the road, so one of us could go down there. Philip is the guy that cut my hair and he did a great job. I will admit I was a little scared with all the hair that was falling off, it's just hair, and it grows back. He cut about 3-4 inches off my hair, but with how long it was, it didn't really matter. Michelle got back from the place down the road and waited for me to finish. After we had been freshly groomed, we headed to McAlister's to meet Lindsey for dinner. She was still working when we got there, so she took our order. I asked for everything in a bread bowl (Michelle's idea), but Lindsey refused to put my turkey sandwich in a bread bowl. Oh well...Lindsey got off soon after we got our food and sat to eat with us. After that we went back to the apartment for Lindsey to change, then we went to the concert on campus. Jenni, her roommate, came with us too. When we got there the opening guy (or so we thought) was singing, and I needed to go to the bathroom, so we all walked over to the SUB. I loved how the handicap stall had the sink in there with you. How convenient is that? After that we walked back to where the concert was, listened to the last of Steven's set, then waited patiently for Derek. Sandra sang some songs with him too, so that was great. I love Derek-his voice, his words...he's just a really talented musician and he sings about what is on his heart-just brutally honest most of the time. Well, after his set was over, the concert was over. We thought, "Hey, what about Sandra?" So yeah, we missed Sandra's set. Apparently she sang before the Steven guy. Lindsey was pretty disappointed. Jenni and Zane (her boyfriend) had left the concert a little early, so it was just the 3 of us again. We decided to walk to Common Grounds. There was a little concert going on in there and it was very crowded, so we just got our drinks then sat outside. After finishing our drinks, we headed back to the apartment. It was late and Lindsey had an early meeting, so we all got ready for bed. Chelle was the first one asleep, so I tried to let her sleep by going in Lindsey and Jenni's room. We chatted in there for awhile-Jenni was doing her spanish homework. At some point I went to bed, but I don't really remember when I fell asleep. The next morning we got up around 8:30, since we needed to be on the road around 9:30. (Michelle had to be at work at 1:00 that day.) We got up, loaded our bags back in the car, then said goodbye. We stopped at Starbucks for breakfast on the way out of town. We got back in Tyler around noon. Michelle dropped me off at home and then she headed to get lunch and go to work.

The plan for that day was to leave at 3:00 for Cory's baseball game in Dallas. Since I hadn't been at work, I didn't have my new cell phone. (We got new cell phones at work this past week.) I decided to go up to Joel's office to pick up my phone. He gave me the directions on activating my phone. After that I had to go pick up Ine from school since she needed to get out early to leave for Dallas. We got back to the house around 2:40, so I figured it would only take a few minutes to get my phone activated. I called the 800 number, pushed all the correct numbers, and then waited for the operator. Lucky me-I got the one employee who had no idea how to do anything. After a long 30 minutes, my phone was finally activated. We did leave a little late for Dallas, but it was no big deal. We got to Prestonwood Baptist Church for Cory's game. They were playing Prestonwood's baseball team. The game was great. Lindsey met us up there too so we had fun goofing around. The final score was Grace-3, Prestonwood-2...Oh yes, Grace won their first district game. Cory also had 2 RBI's. I just love my little brother. After the game, the whole team and their families went to eat at The Purple Cow. I had a really great Turkey burger and chocolate shake. My dad drove the first half of the trip home, then asked me to drive the last hour. We got home a little after midnight and crashed. It was a good two days off work, even with all the driving.

p.s. I do have pictures from the Waco trip, but I'm being lazy right now. I'll put them up later.

No comments: