Friday, April 15, 2005

Tax day

Today is tax day. I'm sure the post office is full of people dropping in their returns...or their extension forms. I got my W-2 from TJC back in the middle of January, so I did my taxes in on 1/27/05. I felt very good about myself that day, glad that I had accomplished this so early since I'm a natural procrastinator. Little did I know that about a month later, I would receive a W-2 from my mom's office. I didn't even remember working there, but apparently I had. Forget the fact that by law she should have given it to me by 1/31. Who is really going to turn their mom in for that? I was a little frustrated to say the least. My dad told me not to freak out and that he would get me the amendment form so I could add this other W-2 to my taxes. Well, it took my dad about a month to get it to me, so around the middle of March is when I got the form. I set it aside because I was in no rush to do this. I mean, I had already gotten my tax refund. My W-2 for my mom's office was for only $99.00-that's it! It seemed so silly for me to even bother with it, but I wanted to do the right thing and claim all my income.
So, time passed by and before I knew it, it was April 11th and I still hadn't worked on the form. I brought it to work with me everyday this week. I didn't get around to trying to fill it out until Wednesday, the 13th. I was doing pretty well until I got to the place where I had to find a number from the tax schedule to put in that blank. I tried to find this number online, and I thought I had finally found it, so I put the number in the blank. By the time I had finished this form, I owed the government thousands of dollars. Obviously I had done something wrong here. So you want to know what I decided to do?
**(If you work for the IRS or the government, please don't read the rest of this entry.)

Yep, that's right-I didn't do it. I mean who really cares about claiming an extra $99? I sure don't! So now I'm a bad citizen. Please don't report me. I just don't see the point in having to claim that money. I paid the taxes on it and if anything, the IRS will owe me money. They can have it...I just don't want to deal with the paperwork.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you ARE a bad citizen, shame on you...Caleb