Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I'm claustrophobic--I just found out

Sunday was our last day in Hokkaido. We had a catch a train to the airport that day around 6 pm. Well, we were running to make a train and just jumped in the first door we saw open. It ended up being a reserved car, so we had to stand in between two cars in what I now like to call 'our little rectangle'. It wasn't so bad at first because the doors were open into the reserved cars, so some people were standing in the aisles. However, the train nazi came through and shoved all us 'commoners' out of there. It seems the people who paid for reserved seats didn't want to mix with our kind. Our rectangle was probably about 10 ft. by 6 ft. and there were like, 50 people crammed in there. (I'm exaggerating, but stay with me here.)
We had our bags with us, as did several other of the rectangle riders. It ended up that the train was delayed (which ended up being the theme for the evening) so we sat there probably 15 minutes until the train actually left--which of course enabled more people to cram into our little space. We had been going about, oh, 10 minutes maybe when Liz and I looked at each other, then said, "It is so quiet in here! It's creepy." (We couldn't look at Lauren because of the way we were wedged in there.) Anyway, I started freaking out. I looked at Liz and said, "I'm claustrophobic. I just found out." I think it was a combination of the super creepy quietness and the super confined space. Liz started laughing at me, then I couldn't stop laughing. We went into a fit of laughter and got several glances from people who obviously enjoyed the quiet. (Lauren was pretending she didn't know us at this point.)
There was one couple next to us that thought we were entertaining and laughed at us, so at least we were appreciated by someone. Well, after I got Gary (my iPod--which you know if you read this regularly) out to help with my freaking out, I got better, but I was so ready to be off that train. We ended up having a great conversation with the couple next to us a little while later and I think they agreed that the quiet was just a little too quiet. The train ride that should have taken 35 minutes turned into an hour, but our rectangle did get better when some people got off before the airport.

I realize this isn't that funny in writing, but I promise it was really hysterical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely no way I would have made it on that train! I would have totally freaked! Your story was hilarious though. Made me laugh, and I needed it. :) love ya

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts, it makes me feel cultured. lol Plus the photos are a good conversation starter on my desktop. I'm so jealous of you!
Brittany