Thursday, February 03, 2005

Look at me-I'm a teacher

So I got home from work last night around 5:10 and went to check on my sick mom. I asked when her class started that she had to teach that evening and she said 5:30. She didn't look well, to say the least, as she was laying across the bed. She said (in her most pathetic voice), "Do you mind teaching my class for me?" I immediately went into panic attack mode. Not that it is such a big deal, but I know very little about Medical Terminology. Funny part is I actually have credit for the class from a class I took in high school. I sure knew I couldn't teach these folks anything, despite what my transcript says. I got to the school, unlocked the classroom and the strange looks from students, most of which were older than me, began. I explained to them that Mrs. Shepherd wouldn't be here, but I would pass their test out for them to review, then take it back up. There were only a few groans from the people who probably hadn't studied and got what they deserved. (Man, my opinion of student apathy has sure changed since I was in those shoes.) After this, I took roll and passed out some notes that would correspond with the video I was soon to pop in the VCR. The video was titled 'The Endocrine System' so of course I was excited. Let me tell you, that was a FUN video. I'll leave out the details, because they've all left my head-I have a horrible retention rate for anything dealing with science or Latin. Needless to say, the students weren't too excited about the video-and I don't blame them. Some of them were a little too excited to turn in their homework. I told them to keep it since I wasn't told anything about it. Yeah, obviously they had TONS of faith in my teaching ability. Best part of the evening? I'm getting paid. I know what you're thinking-My mom is sick. I should do this just because I'm a good daughter, right? Well, come on-I could really use some itunes downloads. I wish I could have taken a picture of some of the faces of these students. Boredom was written all over their faces. One girl even fell asleep-great for my teaching morale by the way! Overall, I'd say my debut as a college professor went over, umm, well? If nothing else, this was just reassurance that I don't want to be a teacher. But wait-then why am I applying for a teaching job in Japan? Eh, that's different...I think.

No comments: