Thursday, February 17, 2005

D-Now & V-Day recap

Well, Katy requested that I write about the Disciple Now weekend, so I suppose I'll try and do it justice. This past weekend I was the leader of a group of 11th and 12th grade girls at Friendly Baptist Church. The weekend was about 'tupos' (not to be confused with tupac). Tupos is a greek noun that means 'to leave an impact'. We talked about how our words and actions leave an impact on peoples lives and we can choose to either leave a good tupos or a bad tupos. I will say that it was convicting to me because I know there are times that I hurt others with my words. I don't care what we said as kids, words can hurt you. Regardless, the weekend went well. It got kicked off by dinner and a comedian. After this we headed to our respective houses that would be our home for the weekend. We had bible study, snacks, and then we made valentine cards to pass out for our mission project the next day. The next morning we got up, had a wonderful breakfast followed by bible study, then headed to Breckenridge Village. BV is a home for mentally handicapped people. It was a lot of fun going because the people were so welcoming. When someone would walk in the room they all celebrated, just glad to see everyone. We passed out the cards we had made along with some other trinkets. After hanging out there, we went back to the church, had lunch, then prepared for the scavenger hunt. We got our first clue and hurried down the road. The clue was to count all the handicapped signs at the Walmart Supercenter on Broadway. This scavenger hunt was different than others I've participated in because after we had the answer, we had to find a pay phone (cell phones were forbidden), and tell them our answer. We had to request our specific person, who was "Cowboy Crooner" for us. I quickly realized it was Ross, so I plan on calling him by this name as much as possible. Anyway, after we were told if our answer was right or wrong, we were given the next clue. We didn't win, but we had fun anyway. We were also asked to bring back an interesting item. We brought back the mascot from a local high school, but the dead cat was much more interesting. (Thanks for that you sick girls!) Anyway, we had more bible study that night along with pizza. The next morning was church and then everyone went home. Steve took the leaders to eat, so that was fun-and free. So there you go Katy-you can add whatever you think I left out!

Monday was of course Valentine's Day. I never expect anything on this day-especially when I have no significant other like this year. However, I got some great flowers from Shani.

I also got some flowers from Fred, Amie's dad, so that was fun.

Amie even made me some little cakes, with help from her mom of course. That night I hung out with Amie for awhile so her parents could go out. After that I went to Chelle's where I got my lessons for driving a standard. I did pretty good! Anyway, I say it was an overall great day. Heck, I got flowers-I didn't even get those last year when I was dating someone! Ok, back to reality...I'm going to do some work now since I'm leaving for Lubbock tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you did a marvelous job with the D-now post. Did you mention that it was my group that picked up the dead cat? YES! Sounds like your valentines was more eventful than mine. I did go to a SFA basketball game which was a lot of fun even though we lost
:( It was definately rated pg-13 though. The audience tends to say bad things to the refs and opposing team. There's another next thurs. night, and yes, I'll be there! Have fun in the other side of the state! ~ Katy