Thursday, February 24, 2005

A large dose of over-confidence combined with driving a standard

I mentioned in an earlier post about my lessons from Michelle on driving a standard. This was necessary because we were taking her car to Lubbock and it's a 7 hour drive. It would be mean for me to make her drive the whole way, plus now I've got a new 'skill' under my belt, right? Well, let me tell you, on the way there, I did great. Of course, once I got the Corolla (a.k.a. Henry) into 5th gear, driving was a breeze. Coming home, I drove the 2nd half of the trip. I was a little hesitant about driving in the metroplex, but I kept my tiny fears to myself. You see, normally, I thrive in driving in heavy traffic, but since I was driving this car that required extra skill, I was a little hesitant. However, nothing went wrong and all was well. I did have to avoid what seemed to be a suicidal dog that was trying to jump from the back of a truck, but otherwise it was a calm trip. As I was coasting into Exit 556 to head home, I pulled into the gas station. We filled up, and then Chelle says, "Do you still want to drive?" I thought for a minute and decided 'Heck yes I do!'. I figured it would be a great opportunity to practice my skills in the city, since I had been doing so well at this point. All was well as I was pulling up to the red light at the Loop and Hwy 69. The light turned green and with the clutch pushed in, I shifted into first, then started giving it some gas. The car died. Michelle, being very sweet, reassured me and said, just try again. So I did...and it died again. At this point I notice some cars coming from behind. I quickly put on the hazard lights. I'm watching the rearview mirror, freaking out, because it looks like a large truck is about to plow into us. Michelle couldn't see it at all, but trusted me, and prepared for impact. Yes-I was very terrified. (I was also very mad that I couldn't accomplish the feat of driving Henry.) Well, after all the cars behind us slammed on their brakes, the horns began to honk. I was a little frazzled to say the least, so Chelle asks me, "Do you still want to drive?" I quickly said, "No." We proceeded to get out of the car, in the middle of the highway, and switch seats. Of course we were receiving harsh glances by all those around us, but I was just relieved that we were safe-including Henry. So what is the moral of the story? Just because you had a few good runs, doesn't mean you won't screw up the next time. Will I try driving Henry (or any standard) again? Sure-it was a good learning experience and I figure it will come in handy if I'm ever in a situation where I need to drive a standard.(like on the Amazing Race!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I feel like I just read from a daily devotional book. I think its because of the way it was written ;) Good story Jenn! ~ Katy