Saturday, January 15, 2005

My surprise date with Tiffany

Last night I had plans to go out with Tiffany. This was so we could share our NY pictures with each other. She called me that morning to ask where I wanted to go, but we decided to just think about it and decide later because we had no good ideas. I called her when I got off work that evening and she informed me that she had a 'surprise date' planned for us. I was a little worried, mostly because you never know what to expect with this crazy chick. So she picks me up and off we go. She says, "I hope it's ok, but the place we're going is about 30 minutes away." I said I didn't mind. I was intrigued really at this point to know where we were going. I asked if she had ever been to the place and she replied, "Well, I've been to this place in other cities, but not this particular one." I decided to sit back and enjoy the ride. We hadn't been in the car but a few minutes when we got to Hwy. 31 and she said, "Oh, we need to go on this road." I asked if we needed to go east or west and she didn't know. She had some directions that were printed from mapquest, but she wouldn't let me see them. I said, "Well, if you go east we will go to Kilgore or Longview. If you go west we will be headed to Athens." She said, "Ok, we need to go west." At this point I knew we must be going to Athens, but I still had no idea what our final destination would be. We arrived in Athens and she begins looking around. She starts turning into the parking lot of McAlister's Deli and I had to laugh. Tiffany and my sister are the only 2 people I know that work at a place and still want to eat there all the time. She then tells me we had to come all the way to Athens for McAlister's because her boss in College Station needed her to pick up some salad bowls since they were out at her store. After spending a good amount of time in McAlister's, we decided to check out a local coffeeshop. Now if you know about Athens, it's not really a city known for, well, anything. Tiffany had heard about this coffeeshop on the square so we headed downtown, which only took about 3 minutes because Athens is so small. We looked in the window and saw an older man playing guitar and several other people in their 40's or 50's watching him. There were also a few other young people scattered around the room. We hesitated only a second, then walked in the door. We were standing near the door when a guy working there asked if we wanted to order any coffee. We declined, then Tiffany said, "Is there a sign up sheet to play here?" Yes, Tiffany, the self-proclaimed up and coming artist wanted to play in Athens. He said, "Well actually, you need to talk to that guy over there" and he pointed to a man in a black jacket. We walked over and Tiffany inquired about playing. He asked if she had a tape, which she doesn't, but she said she could get him one. He said, "Well, if you don't have a tape, you could come in a few weeks when we have an open mic nite. We will be picking some people from that to play a whole set. Can you play for 2 hours?" She laughed and said, "Well...I can talk part of that time too!" Anyway, more details were given about the open mic nite and we headed out the door. As we're walking out, I whispered to Tiffany, "You just got your first gig." Her reply was simply, "You did not just say that." All in all, we had a great, fun time in Athens, Texas. I didn't really think that was possible, but hey, with Tiffany, the world is viewed at a different angle.

No comments: