Sunday, June 10, 2007

My karate BFF

This is Masa.



He is 8 years old (although he was 7 in this picture--his birthday was today). He’s my best friend at karate, since Maureen has abandoned me. Masa has become my Japanese teacher. He’s awesome. We have some pretty deep conversations.
For example:

Me: Masa, Kyo wa nani o shimashitaka? (Masa, what did you do today?)
Masa: *insert words that I don’t understand* karuma (means car) *insert more words I don’t understand followed by car sounds* Wakatta? (Do you understand?)
Me: Oh, Hai, hai! (Oh, yes, yes!)

Another example:
Me: Samui, ne? (It’s cold, isn’t it?)
Masa: Oh, yes! (He’s so cute when he answers in English!!)

He also loves to watch me practice a kata and then say, "Very good, very good!"
I'm really going to miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I drank too much beer and now I cannot sleep...and i have to teach tomomrrow morning...ugh
I thought maybe you had updated BUT I WAS WRONG...UPDATE OR ELSE..