Monday, October 24, 2005

Kayada Sports Festival 10.8.05

Ok ok--I'm WAY behind on updating here, but I have some pictures from the sports festival at my school several weeks ago. This was for my entire school and was held on a Saturday. It was a lot of fun to just watch the kids goof around and have fun. I talked to the mother of one of my students most of the time. She is Filipino and knew English, so of course, that helps.

The kids were in 3 groups: yellow, blue, and red. The first game was something I've never seen before. The point was to throw bean bags into a basket that was up in the air. I think a picture will help to explain...



After the kids did it, the 'adults' got a turn. I tried my best-really-but I didn't make a single one in the basket. Oh well...

After the basket toss, they did something even more interesting. The kids formed lines in a big group. Then, 2 guys with a very long pole ran towards the group. They had to jump when the pole got to them. Ok-another picture to explain...



After the pole jumping, there was a relay that I didn't quite understand. That is, of course, because I don't understand Japanese. Marian (the lady I sat with) did try and explain as much as she could though, and it was still fun to watch. At one point in the relay, they had to eat something without using their hands. This was the result:



Here is another kid, that is also known as the 'evil kid' at my school. He is seriously scary. I don't even like making eye contact with him during class.



I took 90 pictures (I know--extreme), so I'll just share a few more on here.

This is during the potato sack race.


Jumping rope


One of my favorite kids waving his team flag


This kid looks terrified!


How adorable is this boy?


This guy fell asleep sitting next to me. The Japanese can sleep ANYWHERE!


It was a good day, albeit a little long, but I enjoyed watching the kids. Oh, and all of you wondering why I don't know that many kid's names, it's simple. In class they go by their family names (last names), so it's really hard to know a kid's first name unless they tell it to me. They usually introduce themselves with their family name. Also, I have over 500 students, so there is no way I will learn all their names anytime soon, but I'm working on getting them down slowly, but surely...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so that would make me williford?