Monday, February 12, 2007

Kyoto-the capital of the west

Kyoto was formerly the imperial capital of Japan. It is one of the most visited spots for tourist in Japan, therefore, I wasn't in a hurry to get there. Yes, there is a ton of culture and some pretty amazing things to see there, but knowing it's a top tourist spot, usually makes it unappealing to me. I hate being around foriegners here--especially the ones just here to visit. Anyway, not the point of my post...I digress.

Kinkaku-ji (The Golden Pavillion) is the best known temple in Kyoto, and probably in Japan.




Kiyomizu-dera--this place is up for one of the 'new 7 wonders of the world' Do I think it should win? No, but against the statue of liberty, yes--it should.






No, these aren't real geishas. They just do this for the tourist--and we were suckers and took pictures of them.




The view of Kyoto looking out from Kiyomizu-dera




Ryōan-ji is a zen garden. This place was pretty cool, but there were a lot of people there so it was difficult to become enlightened.

The garden consists of raked gravel and fifteen moss-covered boulders, which are placed so that, when looking at the garden from any angle (other than from above) only fourteen of the boulders are visible at one time. It is traditionally said that only through attaining enlightenment would one be able to view the fifteenth boulder.



And I saved the best for last...
Fushimi Inari-taisha, a Shinto shrine, was my favorite spot in Kyoto.







In true Japanese form, there is a vending machine in the middle of this incredible place.


No comments: