Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Kamakura

So, these pictures are almost a month old, but I'm finally getting around to posting them. I went to Kamakura with Jon and Miranda. Jon was (sniff, sniff--he's gone now) here visiting and Miranda is another English teacher here. I've wanted to go to Kamakura, so it was good to finally go.
Kamakura is a very popular tourist destination. Sometimes called the Kyoto of Eastern Japan, Kamakura offers numerous temples, shrines and other historical monuments.

(Yes, I just copied that from a website.)

And now what you actually came for: pictures

Jon and I at Daibutsu (The Big Buddha)

With a height of 13.35 meters, it is the second largest Buddha statue in Japan (the largest is located in the Todaiji Temple in Nara).


Buddha's big sandals


Miranda and I washing our hands

This is done before entering Buddhist temples. I honestly don't know the purpose behind it, other than being clean before entering a holy place. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.

In front of a temple we didn't' go in...but probably should have, after seeing someone else's pictures later


I just thought this was pretty

No comments: